Friday, September 11, 2026

My One-Week Adventure in Mexico City: Tacos, Temples and a Very Full Stomach

 

Photo by Pyro Jenka on Unsplash

There are some cities you visit for a weekend and feel that you have seen everything. Then there is Mexico City.

Mexico City is the kind of place where you can spend seven days exploring and still leave wondering whether you have actually scratched the surface. During my one-week trip, I discovered ancient civilizations, magnificent palaces, colorful neighborhoods, world-class museums, beautiful parks, floating gardens, enormous pyramids — and enough tacos to make me seriously question the capacity of the human stomach.

If you are thinking about visiting Mexico City, my advice is simple: go! And preferably take comfortable shoes. You are going to need them.

Day 1: Welcome to the Zócalo

My Mexico City adventure began in the historic center, and what an introduction it was.

The first place I visited was the Zócalo, officially known as Plaza de la Constitución. This enormous square is surrounded by some of the city’s most impressive landmarks, including the Metropolitan Cathedral and the National Palace.

Standing there, I immediately realized that Mexico City isn’t simply a modern metropolis. It is a city where centuries of history are sitting practically on top of one another.

I visited Templo Mayor, the remains of the great Aztec temple complex. It was fascinating to see the archaeological remains right in the middle of the modern city. It is one of those places where you look around and think, “How many layers of history can one city possibly have?”

Apparently, quite a few.

I then walked toward the magnificent Palacio de Bellas Artes, one of Mexico City’s most recognizable buildings. Its architecture is spectacular, and the murals inside are equally impressive.

By the end of the day, I had walked so much that my feet began considering an independent political career.

Fortunately, Mexico City has an excellent solution for tired travelers: food.

And what better introduction than tacos?

Day 2: Chapultepec — Where My Feet Filed a Complaint

My second day took me to Chapultepec Park, one of the city’s great green spaces.

This place is enormous. When someone tells you, “Let’s take a walk through the park,” make sure they explain exactly what they mean by “walk.”

Inside Chapultepec, I visited Chapultepec Castle, which sits dramatically on a hill overlooking the city. The castle itself is beautiful, but the views are what really caught my attention.

Looking across Mexico City from the castle gave me a completely different perspective. The city seemed to stretch forever.

I also visited the National Museum of Anthropology, which is one of those museums where you could easily spend an entire day and still feel that you haven’t seen everything.

The museum gave me a much deeper understanding of Mexico’s indigenous civilizations and history. Afterward, I needed food — not because I was hungry, but because my brain had officially reached maximum historical capacity.

That evening, I wandered around Roma and Condesa, two of Mexico City’s most enjoyable neighborhoods. The streets were full of cafés, restaurants, trees, interesting architecture and people who looked considerably more fashionable than someone wearing travel shoes.

If you’re planning your own trip, you can explore accommodation and travel options through my Expedia travel link.

Day 3: Coyoacán and the Blue House

Press enter or click to view image in full size
Photo by Vibe Adventures on Unsplash

On day three, I headed south to Coyoacán, one of the city’s most charming neighborhoods.

The atmosphere here felt different from the busy historic center. There were colorful streets, small plazas, markets, cafés and plenty of places where I could happily sit for hours doing absolutely nothing.

One of the highlights was the Frida Kahlo Museum, also known as Casa Azul or the Blue House.

Even if you aren’t a huge art enthusiast, the museum is worth visiting. It provides an intimate look at Frida Kahlo’s life, work and surroundings.

The house itself is memorable, with its distinctive blue exterior and colorful interiors.

After visiting the museum, I explored the surrounding Coyoacán area. I wandered through the plazas, looked around the local market and, naturally, found something else to eat.

I began to suspect that my Mexico City itinerary had secretly been designed by a very hungry person.

Day 4: Xochimilco and the Floating Fiesta

Day four brought one of the most entertaining experiences of my trip: Xochimilco.

If Mexico City had a party on water, this would be it.

Xochimilco is famous for its colorful trajineras, traditional flat-bottomed boats that travel through the area’s historic canals. The atmosphere can be lively, colorful and wonderfully chaotic.

Boats drift along the canals while music plays, food and drinks are available, and other boats pass by carrying groups of friends and families.

I quickly understood why people recommend Xochimilco as an experience rather than simply a sightseeing stop.

It isn’t something you just look at.

You participate.

And if you’re lucky, you leave with excellent memories and absolutely no idea what happened to the concept of “just a quiet afternoon.”

Day 5: Teotihuacán and the Pyramids

On the fifth day, I left the city for one of the biggest highlights of the entire trip: Teotihuacán.

The ancient pyramids are extraordinary.

Standing in front of these enormous structures made me appreciate just how advanced and ambitious the civilizations of ancient Mexico were.

The Pyramid of the Sun and Pyramid of the Moon dominate the landscape, and walking through the ancient site gives you a completely different feeling from exploring modern Mexico City.

Of course, there is one small problem.

Pyramids are not particularly interested in whether you have eaten breakfast.

The walk can be tiring, especially under the sun, so comfortable shoes, water and sensible planning are definitely your friends.

But the effort is worth it.

This was one of those moments when I stopped taking photographs for a while and simply stood there looking around.

Sometimes travel gives you a photograph.

Sometimes it gives you a memory.

Teotihuacán gave me both.

Day 6: Food, Markets and Getting Lost

Press enter or click to view image in full size
Photo by Jarett Lopez on Unsplash

By day six, I had become slightly more adventurous with Mexican food.

Mexico City is famous for its food scene, and I quickly learned that “I’ll just have one” is one of the biggest lies a traveler can tell themselves.

Tacos, tamales, churros, quesadillas and countless other temptations seemed to appear whenever I turned a corner.

I also explored local markets, where the colors, smells and sounds created a completely different experience from the city’s museums and historic buildings.

One of the things I loved about Mexico City was that you didn’t always need a major attraction to have a memorable experience.

Sometimes it was simply walking down a street, discovering a small café, hearing music from somewhere nearby or watching everyday life unfold around me.

I even managed to get slightly lost.

I prefer to call it “unplanned cultural exploration.”

It sounds much more professional.

Day 7: One Last Look at Mexico City

Press enter or click to view image in full size
Photo by Oscar Reygo on Unsplash

My final day was deliberately slower.

After six days of walking, sightseeing, eating and attempting to remember Spanish words, my body had submitted an official request for vacation from the vacation.

I spent my final day revisiting some favorite areas, enjoying a relaxed meal and taking one last look at the city.

What struck me most was the incredible variety.

In one week, I had seen ancient Aztec ruins, Spanish colonial buildings, magnificent museums, an impressive castle, colorful neighborhoods, floating gardens and ancient pyramids.

And I had eaten enough tacos to qualify for honorary membership in a Mexican food appreciation society.

Should You Visit Mexico City?

Absolutely.

If you’re looking for a destination that combines history, culture, architecture, art, food and unforgettable experiences, Mexico City deserves a place on your travel list.

My one-week trip was long enough to discover many of the city’s famous attractions, but short enough to leave me wanting more.

That’s probably the best kind of vacation.

Mexico City isn’t perfect. It’s enormous, busy and sometimes overwhelming. Traffic can test your patience, the city can be exhausting, and your legs may eventually start negotiating directly with your brain.

But that’s part of the adventure.

My advice is to plan your days by neighborhood, give yourself time to explore rather than rushing from attraction to attraction, wear comfortable shoes and come with an empty stomach.

Most importantly, don’t be afraid to step outside your comfort zone.

Visit the Zócalo. Explore Chapultepec. Meet Frida at Casa Azul. Cruise through Xochimilco. Stand beneath the pyramids of Teotihuacán. Wander through Coyoacán, Roma and Condesa. Eat the tacos. Try something new.

And if you’re planning your own Mexico City adventure, you can start looking at travel options here: Explore Mexico City with Expedia.

A week in Mexico City taught me one important lesson:

You don’t really visit Mexico City — you experience it.

And once you do, you may find yourself planning your next trip before you’ve even finished your last taco.

So pack your bags, charge your phone, bring your appetite and prepare your feet.

Mexico City is waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

China Beyond Beijing and Shanghai: Three Cities That Will Change the Way You See the Middle Kingdom

  Photo by Bruce Röttgers on Unsplash There is a version of China that most first-time travelers know before they even arrive. It is the Ch...